• Time to read 1 minute
parked lorries
You'll need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number starting with GB to continue importing goods.
You can apply to use 'transitional simplified procedures' to reduce the amount of information you need to give at the border.
  1. Register for transitional simplified procedures
  2. Decide what other customs procedures you could use

You may also be able to use the Common Transit Convention (CTC) to simplify how your goods pass through customs and when you pay customs duties.

  1. Find out if you can use CTC .
Set up a duty deferment account if you want to be able to make one payment of customs duties a month instead of paying for individual shipments.

You must set one up if you plan to use transitional simplified procedures.

  1. Set up a duty deferment account .
You’ll need to pay customs duties and VAT on all imports.
  1. Find out the rate of customs on imports after Brexit
  2. Check when you'll need to account for and pay VAT

You’ll also need to pay excise duties if you’re importing alcohol, tobacco or biofuels.

  1. Find out the rate of excise duty on imports .

We hoped you enjoyed this article...

HGV Alliance also recommends:


load platform

Load Portal (Members Only)

HGV Alliance Heroes logo

Services provided by our HGV Alliance Heroes


Other Articles


HGV Alliance Library

load platform


Load Exchange Platform (Register Free)
Exclusive HGV Alliance Hero Discounts
Logistics Industry Articles and News
HGV Alliance Library